- For the marinade and dressing:
- zest and juice of 3 limes
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 2 hot red chillies, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- handful coriander finely chopped
- 8 chicken leg or thigh pieces, skin on
- For the salad:
- bunch spring onion, shredded lengthways
- ½ cucumber, halved, deseeded and cut into long strips
- 200 g baby tomato, halved
- handful coriander
- handful Thai basil leaves
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- handful toasted cashews or peanuts
Whisk together the lime zest and juice, fish sauce, sugar and chillies until the sugar dissolves.
Pour 1/3 of this mix into a bowl, add the oil and set aside (this will be the dressing).
Put the remainder into a bowl with 1 tsp salt, the garlic, turmeric and coriander stems. Slash each piece of chicken down to the bone a few times, then add to the marinade and mix it well.
Chill for at least 2 hrs, or ideally up to 24 hrs.
Preheat the oven to 180 C.
Lift the chicken from the marinade and into a roasting tin and roast for 30-40 minutes until cooked through and tender.
Spread the spring onions, cucumber and tomatoes over a platter, add the chicken, then finish with the herbs, avocados, nuts and dressing.